atom feed7 messages in org.apache.harmony.devRebooting the Harmony project
FromSent OnAttachments
Tim EllisonMar 14, 2011 3:51 am
johann SorelMar 14, 2011 1:26 pm
Volker BerlinMar 14, 2011 1:54 pm
Dr Andrew John HughesMar 14, 2011 2:23 pm
David BebermanMar 14, 2011 2:31 pm
chri...@k-embedded-java.comMar 14, 2011 3:04 pm
Paul AndersonMar 14, 2011 6:06 pm
Subject:Rebooting the Harmony project
From:Tim Ellison (t.p.@gmail.com)
Date:Mar 14, 2011 3:51:54 am
List:org.apache.harmony.dev

As will be obvious to regular readers of this list, the Apache Harmony development community has seen a steady reduction in capacity over the last few months.

Having a period of reflection and reassessment after the turmoil surrounding the JCK licensing issue is natural, and there has been some discussion about the project road map for moving forward with a new goal.

However, as a consequence of the current reduction in participation there is no longer an active Harmony PMC quorum to oversee the actions of the project. It is with great sadness that I'll be stepping down as Chair of the PMC.

I feel it is too early to move Harmony to the Attic [1], yet we do need to ensure there is proper oversight of the project's activities. We'll be looking for a new Chair amongst the experienced Apache folks, and have been discussing moving to a level of oversight/guidance by inviting Incubator [2] mentors to join in our discussions.

The intention of these actions is to provide the time and space for Harmony developers to decide where to contribute, and how to make best use of the code we have all worked so hard on to date. As always, comments, questions, and suggestions are most welcome.

[1] http://attic.apache.org/ [2] http://incubator.apache.org

Regards, Tim